Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Blogger slacking and Pumpkin Run Recap

there is NO excuse for the slacking I have been doing lately.  Not just in the blogging realm, but also in my dieting and "healthy living" as well.  Its frustrating to me to see that I am back-pedaling but I am working hard to get my head back in the game and get back on track.  That's part of the reason I haven't been blogging, I have been trying to move my body more outside of just working out - cleaning house, chasing my kids, etc.

I ran a race this last weekend, I suppose I should do a race recap/report.  The race I ran was called the Pumpkin Run and was put on by the Parkview Whitley Foundation and benefited the Parkview Whitley Hospice.  (While this is a great cause, its still a bit weird to me to have a funeral home as the top sponsor on the back of my race shirt! haha)  They offered a 5k, 10k, and a 1k kids fun run.   I signed Natalie up to run the kids fun run and myself to do the 5k.  I debated doing the 10k but decided the weekend after a half marathon I should do the lower mileage.

The race started at 2:00 on Sunday which would not typically be my first choice.  With my sensitive stomach I ate breakfast but was afraid to eat lunch.  This meant that I didn't really eat between breakfast and dinner - not fun!  

Source


Anyway, Natalie's fun run started at 1:30.  She was really pumped and excited and I think I was even more excited than her.  This was going to be my first time running with her.   The kids race was just a quick loop around the hospital.  We lined up with the other kids and waited for the start - when they started the run Natalie stated off pretty enthusiastically.  Unfortunately, if you check out this picture to the right - you can tell that it didn't go as well as I would have liked!   She kept saying that she wanted to walk and was "too tired," I just kept encouraging her that she needed to run the whole time even if it was slow.  I want to teach her to never give up.  Despite her tears in this picture, I truly believe she had a good time and was happy to have completed it.  It was only 1k but she's not a super active 4 year old - she gets her personality and demeanor from her daddy!  And, I don't mean that in a bad way - she just would rather watch tv or play video games than run a kilometer.  Call me a bad parent if you have to, but I am determined to get her motivated to be healthy.  And, she was super proud of the ribbon she got for completing the run.  I think Natalie and I are going to start having "Mommy and Me" workout time!  And, just a few more pictures to prove I really am not the worst mother ever and she truly enjoyed herself...



It was kind of nice running Natalie's little fun run before my 5k because it gave me a chance to loosen up my muscles a bit.  It was SO cold that there was no way that I was warmed up after that run, but at least my muscles weren't totally cold!  If I could do any one thing differently it would be that I would have worn something warmer!  This event was chipped time but there was no start line to cross, everyone's chips started at the "whistle."  Because of this I tried to get to the front of the group but I wasn't able to so I settled for a spot about halfway back. The race started out going uphill - how cruel!  I started off way to fast, which is nothing out of the ordinary of course.  The route was pretty straight forward, it was an out and back from the hospital through Morsches park and back to the hospital. What I didn't anticipate was the large portion (roughly 1/3) of this race that would be run on grass.  For most runners the grass would be a good thing, but with my peroneal tendonitis, the uneven ground can really screw with my leg and cause pain. I tried to slowly pass runners, we were running with the 10k people for most of the race so I had no clue who was running what.  I just kept trying to put one foot in front of the other and running with all my energy.

I don't remember many details of the course, but I do remember they had a water stop at somewhere around 2 miles.  I took a bit of water and immediately regretted it because I poured half of it on myself - with cold and wind it felt like my arm was frozen to the bone.  At one point near mile 3, we were running up hill on a paved trail and I started to lose my balance, luckily there was a tree nearby so I put my hand out and caught myself before I totally wiped out.   Shortly after my near fall, we exited Morsches Park and the 10k runners turned right while the 5k runners turned left to head to the finish line.  I was so beat but I kept pushing myself telling myself that I wanted to finish strong and I really didn't want to walk during a 5k. I slowed down a couple times during the race to catch my breath but never stopped to walk.    The only thing more cruel than the uphill start was that there was an incline to the finish line.  I pushed across the finish line and saw my time was just shy of 27:00 minutes, normally this would disappoint me but I knew ahead of time that the course measured long.  They told us it measured close to 3.5 miles - my garmin put it at 3.39 miles.

While it wasn't my fastest showing, I was pleased with how well I did.  It had only been a week since my last half marathon and I hadn't put in many runs that week to prepare.  I ended up finishing as the 1st overall female in the 5k - talk about excited!  I need to run in Columbia City more often, thats where I got my other overall female award!    A few more statistics from the race, for my record...

Official Time: 26:52.06
  **FIRST OVERALL FEMALE!** woohoo (got a medal as well as an orange tech shirt as prize)
Finished 6 of 86 runners in the 5k

Mile 1: 7:33 min/mile
Mile 2: 7:53 min/mile
Mile 3: 8:10 min/mile
last .4 mile : 8:01 min/mile on avg

And some pictures for your viewing pleasure :)






2 comments:

  1. Smokin' FAST! Nice job on your AG award! Take care of your tendonitis in this weekend's WOOF - it "ain't" paved nor grass - it's nature trail! I'll bring your bracelets (they are so cute)! See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks "L" - I will be all taped up this weekend, hopefully that will help. I am also not going in to this one to "race" :)

    You are awesome, thanks for making the bracelets for me :)

    ReplyDelete