Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"Treatment" making things worse?

So, Monday my ankle was swollen and I went to the ortho and was given a boot.  I apologize in advance, this post is going to have several pictures of my gross feet!

Here is what my foot looked like on Monday - my left was slightly swollen but nothing too bad.

Then last night I noticed when I took my boot off to sleep (side note:  should I be sleeping in it?) my ankle was swollen like CRAZY.  I am also having ankle pain now that I am in the boot and the pain I went to the ortho for seems to be gone.  Strange indeed.  Anyway, here are some pictures of my ankle I took last night. 

View from the Front

View from the side, seriously.. who's ankle is this?!?!

View from the back

I called the doctors office this morning to ask if this was normal and was made to feel like a fool for calling.  I was told that its totally normal and is just a progression of the injury.  I was also informed I am no longer allowed to take NSAID painkillers (which is what she advised I should take) because if it is a stress fracture that will slow down healing.  They called in a prescription for Tramadol - and I am NOT loving the side effects of it.  Guess I will be toughing it out until next week. 

I may not post much between now and my MRI/follow-up, it will just depend on how I am feeling.  I may try to do a fun post about my weekend in Cincinnati though - so keep an eye out for that.  

Trying to stay positive, but I am terrified that this will end up being a stress fracture.  So, to my readers.. have you ever known someone with a stress fracture?  What was their healing like?   (Yes I know I am jumping the gun here, but I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario)

1 comment:

  1. Just a guess about the swelling - it's a result of the tight boot and hanging it down - consider elevating it tomorrow. I would say the additional pressure that the swelling is causing is the putting pressure on the original injury kind of cushioning it (compressing it really - the same as if you were putting an ace bandage on it - though an ace is obviously on the outside - as is your boot, but the inflammation is on the inside compressing the original injury). Elevate and rest!!!!!!! Stress fractures generally require ZERO running but can include limited walking for usually 4-8 weeks. Deep breaths - one day at a time - elevate!

    ReplyDelete