Galloping Gobbler (4 miles) - 11/24/11
official time: 33:30
overall: 615 / 3075
age bracket: 21 / 257
gender: 144 / 1690
- this was my one year "runiversary" as I like to call it. Last Thanksgiving I spent my morning doing a turkey trot at the Y, most of it was walking. I tried to jog some so that I wasn't the last one to finish but I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds without getting winded. Oh what a difference a year makes!
- super cold weather, late start due to registrations
- still recovering from the flu so I wasn't feeling up to par
- some pretty good consistent up and down hills through the cemetery but pretty run (and this is coming from someone who doesn't do well with cemeteries)
- people dressed up as turkeys, pilgrims, etc
- they had self seeded pace markers which I was really excited about
- but, not sure they worked.... I started out exactly where I should have pace wise in the 8-8:30 group, but spent most of the first 10-15 minutes passing people
- mile 1 was slow due to crowds
- miles 2 and 3 worked out pretty well for me, negative splits
- struggled by the last mile, my legs were aching from all the ups and downs of the hills
- overall, I would definitely recommend this race because it was well organized and a fun start to Thanksgiving
- don't have many pictures from the race since hubby wasn't able to be with me because he was home sick with the flu
- the only downside... I wasn't a huge fan of the shirts!
|only race photo I have, purchased from race photog|
|pretty scenery on St Francis Campus|
|Me after the race|
|the crowd behind me|
|the crowd in front of me|
The Gift 5k - 12/10/11
official time: 24:02
overall: 19 / 41
age bracket: 1 / 1
gender: 3 / 14
splits: (inaccurate, my garmin wouldn't start until more than .25 mile into the race)
- this race was SMALL, like, smallest I have done in a while
- I dressed up for this race and was the only one, I kind of felt like a fool!
- no chip timing and I didn't start at the front of the group, whoops.. was too busy screwing with my gps
- so, so, SO cold. I think the temps were around 10 degrees!
- the course wasn't the most interesting but it was pretty none the less
- they gave away nice little gifts to 1-3 in each age group which meant that most people ended up getting something since it was a small race, I thought this was a nice touch.
- I struggled from the beginning of this race, it was hard to breathe in the cold, it was painful on my lungs
- no water stop which was fine, but at the same time I am so used to them that it felt weird to not have one
- ended up having to walk a bit towards the end, which you can definitely see in the splits
- overall I was pleased with my time, 2nd fastest 5k to date - about 20 seconds off my PR
- I was 1st overall female up until after mile 2, it was hard to watch those girls pass me but I just didn't have it in me to push harder, I knew they were high school age so I knew that I still had my age group and for whatever reason that was enough for me that day.
|coming in to the finish|
|cookies and ornaments all packed up|
Reader Poll: What are your best ideas for teacher gifts for Christmas (and end of year)?
Last Question: What is your favorite holiday tradition?