Friday, December 23, 2011

Virtual 10k and other Ramblings

Warning:  this post jumps around ALOT, sorry!  

After signing up for a 5k for both Christmas and New Years I was feeling pretty good about myself and my motivation to stay healthy despite all the holiday goodies coming my way.  Then I went out to dinner last night... while at dinner I realized just how far I have fallen back in the last few weeks as far as my eating and my running.  Yes, I have run every day, but one mile just doesn't cut it.  That's not even 10 minutes of exercise.

Laziness and poor eating choices are what got me to where I was before... 307 pounds.  I don't want to go back there.  I don't even want to see 207 ever again.  I am enjoying life in "one-derland" as many like to call it.  I got down to 180 not long after my half in September.  This morning,  I weighed in at 189.  That's 9 pounds I have let myself gain back.  Granted, I am 5'11 so most people may not notice the gain, I do.  I don't feel comfortable with those extra 9 pounds.  And that puts me 14 pounds from my goal weight.  

I guess if it was easy to lose weight, everyone would be skinny.  I know its a challenge to stay on track for a healthy lifestyle, so in order to stay motivated to move even more I signed up for a virtual 10k last night after dinner with my fantastic friend.  

Talking with my friend made me realize that the only thing that is standing in my way of happiness is myself.  I have to push myself harder and accomplish things that make me happy.  Whether it be in running, or family, or whatever.... only I have the power to make it better.  I have to be willing to take chances in order to acheive the happiness I am struggling to find.  Granted, knowing that and achieving happiness are not the same thing, but I am going to work hard towards being happier. I have to do it, if not for me... for my kiddos - they deserve a better mommy who isn't always depressed.  

Anyways, back to the "virtual race" I ran this morning... the first annual Home for the Holidays 10k. They are offering raffle type prizes for the race instead of traditional age group awards which is fantastic because otherwise I wouldn't have a chance!  They are giving a bonus prize to the most spirited outfit, so I had to whip out my outfit from my last race.  I decided to pass on the Santa hat, but other than that the outfit was the same as the Gift 5k.  I had to take a picture to show them my outfit, so although I don't typically have anything to show for my virtual races, here is a picture of me all sweaty after my 6.2 miles this morning. 


As far as the run is concerned, it didn't go too badly.  Especially given the fact that it was spur of the moment. I am not one of those runners who can pick up and do a run longer than 3-4 miles with little planning.  It generally requires adjusting my diet and such.  That said, yesterday I had fudge, chocolate covered potato chips, and peppermint divinity (not a large amount of any of them) as well as a steak and I had a drink at dinner.  And the night before, I had two drinks.  I haven't been drinking water like I should be - I knew I was going into the run semi-dehydrated but I figured with the cooler weather I would be okay.  

The first two miles were hard, I just couldn't get my mind into the run, but luckily I was able to start loosening up and just let my feet do what they needed to do. I ran this 10k a minute slower than my 10k run last week which was disappointing, but looking at my splits I am pleased with how those look.  I was pretty much able to negative split the whole thing.  I think the biggest challenge for my time was that I ran the 10k today in my neighborhood which means LOTS of cul-de-sacs, curves, and turns.  Each of those slows me down some, so I do think that's where the time difference comes from.  

My splits: 
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary53:42.26.218:39
19:02.01.009:02
29:04.01.009:04
38:44.91.008:45
48:31.21.008:31
58:25.51.008:26
68:17.31.008:17
71:37.40.217:35


Last but not least, I went to Dick's to use up a $10 cash card I got in the mail with their Christmas card.  Needless to say, I left spending a whole lot more than $10.  I don't have many winter running clothes because last winter I wasn't a serious runner.  I was mainly in search of some running pants and maybe one shirt.  Well, when I got into the store I saw that they had their Reebok cold compression gear 50% off.  Given that its current season I figured I wouldn't find much better of a deal.  So, I snagged a pair of pants as well as 3 different running shirts.  I am excited to have some choices for winter weather running.  I am praying the pants work well, I tend to have problems with them sliding off when I run - will report back on that later!  

And, in case I don't post again before Christmas, I would like to wish my readers a Merry Christmas!  Enjoy your time with your family and remember its okay to indulge once in a while, just don't totally through healthy living out the window.  Eat those cookies, but remember to go for a run or walk afterwards! 

2 comments:

  1. WHAT.A.FREAKIN'.CUTE.RUNNING.OUTFIT!!!! I WANT TO RUN A RACE AND WEAR THAT!!!! SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!

    I'm sorry you are struggling. Meds help too - been there done that! Hope that 2012 is an even better year for you.

    I wanted to pop over to wish you a Merry Christmas and hadn't noticed you posted - so it's a bonus! Merry Christmas, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the 10K Jenn! Your outfit should be in the running for the most festive attire.

    I don't have much for winter running either so I'm jealous of your great finds. Hopefully the pants will stay up!

    Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete